The LANL Damage Assessment Plan
The LANL Final Damage Assessment Plan was finalized April 30, 2014 and presents the assessment activities the LANL Natural Resource Trustee Council intends to conduct in order to assess injuries and service losses to natural resources in and around LANL, and to plan restoration of injured resources.
Assessment activities in the LANL Damage Assessment Plan (described in Chapter 6 of the Plan) include:
- Analysis of existing contaminant concentration data,
- Assessment of potential Pueblo losses,
- Terrestrial, aquatic, geological, and groundwater analyses, and
- Efforts to identify and scale restoration actions.
Implementation of the LANL Damage Assessment Plan
The Trustee Council is currently implementing the LANL Damage Assessment Plan and began by prioritizing an initial set of assessment activities including:
- An evaluation of the various options for treating non-detect samples in the LANL NRDA. The Trustee Council finalized the Treatment of Non-Detects in the Los Alamos National Laboratory Natural Resource Damage Assessment report June 20, 2017.
- An evaluation of the available ecotoxicity information for a suite of contaminants of ecological concern at LANL.
- An evaluation of existing ecological contaminant concentration data, LANL terrestrial, aquatic, and geologic information, and related environmental data.
- An evaluation of groundwater contaminant concentration and related data and an evaluation of groundwater baseline conditions and services.